We all know how hot and humid the summers in Houston, Texas can be. Being without air conditioning can be a major nightmare, but having an AC unit that also tends to have a funky smell to it definitely is not a plus either.
When you crank on your AC you should get that relief from the heat feeling refreshed, but getting smacked with this real foul, majorly stinky smell coming from your vents definitely does not give you that refresh and relief feeling.
If you do find that you have a foul smell coming from your registers or vents, it is best to see about getting that fixed as soon as possible. Not only is the smell difficult to deal with, but it can also end up being hazardous for you and your family.
There are a few reasons that could cause your AC unit to be blowing out that foul smelling air:
- If your drip pan is clogged – Mildew can grow if this drip pan has been moved, filling up too fast, or is clogged. If the clog can be seen, you more than likely can unclog it on your own, but if you cannot, it will more than likely need the assistance of a HVAC specialist.
- If your filters are clogged or dirty – Your air filters are built to catch dust, dirt, debris, and much more. If they are expose to too much moisture or the tiny, organic particles that it catches can accelerate their mildew growth if exposed to moisture. This you can handle yourself by changing out the filter.
- If there is moisture in your ductwork – Ductwork is what the maze of tunnels coming from your outdoor AC unit that delivers the cooled air to each room through registers or vents. If these are not sealed correctly or if the AC is not removing all the moisture from the air can cause mildew. Any excess moisture within the ducts can lead to mold and mildew growth that spreads the odor throughout your home. This is best taken care of by a professional, trusted HVAC specialist like Autumn Air.
- If you find that your condensate drain line is clogged – This drain line runs from your evaporator coils all the way to your outdoor AC unit that removes the condensation created by the coils. If this ends up clogged, mildew can accumulate within and around your coils.
- Internal Issues – This is where some parts inside your air conditioning unit is dirty or has mildew growth. This is also best taken care of by a HVAC specialist.
Like mentioned earlier, the best way to avoid issues like this from happening is having an HVAC specialist come out during the spring time and run through the annual maintenance tune-up on your AC system. This can easily take care of any cleaning and lubricating that your AC may need as well as possibly spot any potential problems that can arise.
Remember, it is always best to pay a little to have this done than pay a lot to have any repairs done. Also, most warranties require to have this done or it ends up being void.
If your air conditioning system is not operating correctly or is in need of its annual maintenance to prevent potential issues, please contact us today to schedule your appointment. Do not be strand in the blasting heat of Houston, Texas summer without a cool home.
3036 Yale St.
Houston, TX 77018
from Autumn Air http://ift.tt/29uvqux